Sunday, October 19, 2008

Paralyzing Commonsense


"The paralyzing commonsense notion that everyone,
even the most radical of the radical, plays a role in the status quo
hides the subversive possibility that all of us--even the radicals--
can refuse our roles." - rtmag

A lot of stuff that's been buzzing in my head lately in terms of society has been voiced in the issues of "Rolling Thunder". The articles are incredibly interesting, and I suggest at least downloading the PDFs of out-of-print issues, if not buying the current ones.

This "Anarchist Journal of Dangerous Living" states (in Issue 2 available on PDF) that the only way to make a difference in society is to break from it's ranks - but that's not where S/He/It has directed me. Or has it? To most of "me", it doesn't make sense to change a society from the outside. Obviously we/I cannot mentally subscribe to culture/society if we want to break free from it, but can you really affect a huge change in something you're not invested in?

It really makes me take a look at my life from the witness point of view - I recently overcame a big ol' inner crisis regarding whether to continue my college education and what to study. I suppose that's all up for debate at any time (re: financial ability) but for now I'm here at school, making the most of the system while not locking myself into it. Just reading the "mission" statement makes me take a second (third POV?) look at my Self: as a student, consumer, queer, artist, lover, yogi, and woman. In simple identity--even choosing to NOT identify--how much am I a head in the rotation?

And while anarchy may strike me as a particularly angry and destructive way of reform, aren't rage and destruction part of the balance as much as creation and love?

As always, I mentally wobble between "I have no idea; I don't know" and "I have every idea in the world, I definitely know everything I will ever need". In words I cannot form yet, I know that on some level they are the same.

photo courtesy of xXPunk_14_AngelXx's photobucket. (Hah - ironic, I know.)

No comments: