Monday, October 6, 2008

Constructing the "I"

What makes you fall in love with yourself?

(This may sound like the same question, but it's not: What makes [made] you fall in love with me?)

How do you prove yourself to yourself? To others?


My answer: I don't know yet, specifically. In my own mind I am an energy, a taste, a be-ing, but I think of specific things: my poetry, the sweetness of my own skin, a desire to serve, good listening skills... it's good, but am I really in love with it?

It's ironic that when in love with another (or as "another" we can be) things to adore just bubble up, but how often do we do this for ourselves?

So what makes you unique to you, what makes sends you head over heels everytime you look in the mirror?

I have no idea how this relates to our current reading, "The Tale of Genji" by Lady Murasaki, but it was what we discussed in my humanities seminar today. Interesting as all hell.

No comments: